Sunday, April 28

Break the Glass: Chapter 6

In my dream, there are no such things as Reflections and Bodies. Or maybe I am the Body. Life is so much easier. I can go anywhere, say and do anything I want, without having to make sure that my Body was doing the same thing. It is so great. I am my own person. And a better person. I have courage and confidence. I can say the things in my mind.
I was admiring myself in the mirror. Then I look around, and I'm in the park. Darren's there too. I tell him, without saying anything, that I miss him. And that I want him back. We hug tightly and we twirl. There are flower petals and butterflies flying in the air. It is so beautiful. I never want that moment to end.
Then somehow, we're rolling in a grassy field. I end up under him. He stares lovingly into my eyes. I reach up to him and we kiss for a long time. We start taking off our clothes. I'm wearing a white dress and a white cardigan. Darren is wearing a black shirt and black jeans. We probably look like a yin yang, on top of each other and wearing black and white. Perfect balance and harmony. My cardigan is off and laying crumpled in the grass. I lifted up his shirt. And stop.
His entire body is a ruined mess. He stops moving, and his arms drop to his sides, limp, but I can't take my eyes away. Slowly, I stroke his scars, feeling every bump and very occasionally smooth skin. But everything I touch starts bleeding and melting away. I realize that too late.
He opens his mouth in a silent scream, and disintegrates into nothing. I stare at his empty clothes in my lap.
I start folding the clothes, casually, as if nothing happened.

At that point, I force myself to wake up. This nap did nothing, except to make everything worse. I need a therapist. Really.

In dramas, they never show the awkward parts. In once scene, it would show someone getting embarrassed. The next scene would be the person already over the humiliation. I have no clue what to do after I woke up. That dream was so bizarre and disturbing. I also realize that more and more, I compare my life to one in a drama. It's probably part of me wanting to escape reality.
I guess I can't do much except to go with the flow. Let my dream be a secret that rots in my stomach. No one needs to know how messed up I can be. Really.
So I sit in my bed waiting for Michelle to need me. I don't have much of a life outside of the mirror anymore. What if I can send telepathic messages to her to get back together with Darren. Then we can be together again, Bitch will be forgotten, and everything would be great.
That's a good idea, I think. We're connected and I can feel her emotions. Does that mean she can also feel mine? In the scientific method, that would be my observation and hypothesis. But how am I supposed to do my experiment? I can try, but I won't be sure if it works. I won't be able to tell.
I don't get much time to think, because Michelle goes to lunch in the dining room. I realize that it's the middle of the day, and a weekend. My concept of time is completely messed up. I decide to face the problem in front of me. My parents. They may or may not have heard of the things on the internet. They aren't very tech savvy.

“Michelle Aurray,” says my father, sounding stern.
“What?” I say dismissively.
“You have disgraced this family too much.” So they did hear of those things.
“I have no face left to talk with my friends,” chime my mother. The only thing she ever cares about is her reputation and “face”.
“So, we are moving,” my father finishes.
“What?” I say again, this time with more emotion. My fork clangs against the plate as I stare at them in disbelief. I'm moving? “You can't do that!”
“Of course we can. Like your mother said, we have no face to stay here in this town. Everyone knows what you have done.”
“I didn't do anything!” I cry.
“You know most clearly what you have done. We never agreed to that relationship, but let you go with it. Now look what happened.”
I want to break down and I cry. I want to throw my plate at a wall. I wanted to throw a tantrum. But that wouldn't change anything.
“What . . .what about my Body? Our Body?”
“They are moving too, of course.” My mother looks at me like she can't believe how stupid I am.
“But why? What's their reason?”
“Now, how would we know?”
Then my father stands up and straightens his tie. “I need to go back to work. You two can start packing.”

Back in my room, I think of everything I could've said. “All you two care about is your damn reputation! What about mine? Shouldn't you ask me how I'm feeling? Give me some moral support? Believe me? No. Instead you go with what everyone else says, doesn't let me explain, doesn't care enough to hear my story, and decides to uproot me without even asking if I want to!”
There is so much more, but I don't know how to put it into words, so I punch a wall. It hurt my hand, and I collapse onto my bed, realizing how stupid and hopeless I am. What am I going to do? Bitch will know that she won. And I'll be leaving Darren alone here. And what about Ashley? She's still my friend. I don't want to leave her!
I feel like everything is so random right now. None of this makes any sense. There's so many unnecessary plot twists. How is this going to work out?
I sit up and look around my room. I'm going to be leaving this place soon.

The door opens and I jump, startled. My mother walks in and shoves over some boxes. “You're still sitting in bed? You need to start packing!”
“What's the hurry?” I flop down into my bed again. I don't want to see her.
“What's the hurry? We're moving in two days. Everything left unpacked stays here in this house.”
“What? We're leaving in two days?” I sit up again. “Nice of you to tell me now. How am I supposed to pack everything I own in 48 hours? And what about my friends? Can't I have a farewell party or something?” Anything to let me stay here longer. Even though things here suck, that doesn't mean I want to leave.
My mother sighs. “Yes, I admit this is a very short notice, but nothing will change. We are out leaving in two days. We've already sold this house.”
“Umm . . .can you tell me why we're moving? Give me a real reason. Please.”
“I would love to tell you, Michelle, but there isn't a reason for us. It is just that our Bodies are moving, so we have to too.” Her voice is gentle and motherly, so different from how she always talks before.
I look at her. “I don't want to move!”
She straightens up and sounds like herself again. “Fill up those boxes now. Stop being lazy.” Then she leaves.
I look around my room again and force myself to throw some things into a box. It makes me feel like I was giving in.

Not many people knew that I was moving. Ashley didn't know either. I tell her at lunch the next day. “Hey, guess what?”
“What?” she replies, as she takes some of my food.
“I'm moving.”
“What?” Her mouth drops open and I can see chewed up bits of fries. I look away.
“Tomorrow.”
“Wait! What? Why?”
“I don't know. My parents just told me yesterday.”
“I knew there was something wrong with my Body yesterday.” She stops eating. “Oh my god Michelle!”
“Yeah.”
“You know what you should do?”
“No?”
“Come over to my house and hide. My parents will never have to know you're there and you won't have to move and we can party everyday.”
“Yeah, I wonder how that will work out.” I go back to eating, but Ashley still doesn't.
“No. Why does this have to happen?”
“I don't know.”
“Wait.” Pause. “What about Darren and the Bitch?”
“What about them?”
“If you leave, you won't be able to get Darren back and win against her.”
“Oh, yeah. I've been thinking about that. She'll think I'm running away because I can't face this all.”
No, Michelle! I don't want you to leave.” She sighs. “I need to go sob in a corner now.”
I smile despite everything. “Kay, have fun with that.”

We were in the weight room for gym again when suddenly the speakers comes on and tells us we're on lock down because of a serial killer. It's probably the one that was mentioned in the bus driver's radio.
My gym teacher locks the doors, turns off the lights and tells us all to crouch near a wall. After many people running into each other in the total darkness, he gives up and lets us stay where we were. I really hate it when it's this dark. I can't see anything! Why can't this room have windows?
Then I feel a person hugging me, or something close to doing so. “I know you're scared of the dark,” he says.
I know that voice. “No, I'm not.
“Yes, you are. Don't lie.
“Fine. Only this kind of dark.” I wasn't as nervous, since I couldn't see his face. It feels safer. I enjoy being in Darren's arms again. “Why are you being so nice again?”
Silence. Maybe he fell asleep. Maybe he changed his mind.
“I know you're moving tomorrow. I don't want you to leave with bad memories of me.” I don't bother to care about his sudden change of attitude towards me.
I don't think you're supposed to make out during a lock down. Somehow we find each others lips and don't crash into any equipment of people. After a while, I whisper, “Be happy, Darren.”
“Hmm?”
“Be as happy as you. Don't care about your Body. You only cut because he was and you have to look like him, right?” At least, that's what I want to believe.
“My Body is part of the reason.”
“Well, if you're happy, maybe your Body will feel it and be happy too.”
“The other reason is because I had to break up with you, but I never wanted to and now I wish I didn't.”
“Then why did you?”
But then the speakers crackle back to life, signaling the end of the lock down. I immediately feel the absence of Darren around me. The lights come on, and I see that he was sitting far from me. Maybe I had imagined everything. But when the teacher was giving his speech about safety, I catch him looking at me. Maybe it was real.

That was the only interesting and good thing that happened. By the end of the school day, Michelle had a multiple farewell cards. It was then that I realize how unpopular I am compared to my Body. I don't get it. Even though I try so hard to have my own identity, aren't we still the same people? Or is that other world more different than I imagine?
Back home, I can't do much else other than pack up my remaining things. There is this feeling of nostalgia, even though I haven't even left yet.
Packing and cleaning gives you the chance to rediscover things. I find a bunch of photo albums from that time when people didn't store everything in a computer. It's weird how it's not possible for me to see my reflection without my Body nearby, but I can have separate pictures. A glitch in the whole system? I also find a bag where I put all the things Darren gave me. I set it gently into the box without looking in it. I kind of want to forget everything, but at the same time, that would be like erasing some of the best moments of my life!
I notice my diary on my bed. Should I take it with me or leave it for people to find? I decide to throw it into one of the boxes. My secrets aren't meant to be shared.

I wonder what will happen next in my life. I'll go on a plane, because my parents have decided that it's necessary to move to a different state. Maybe I'll build up a new social circle and be popular. Maybe I'll be a hermit and live in a cave. Maybe people will forget me.

Black and white pictures
evidence of my existence
swaying from the cobwebs.
All interconnected.

To the world
I'm only one.
To the people
a nameless soul.

Time is at a standstill
no more memories
frozen as pictures
hanging from the ceiling
smiling down at me.

I'm only an extra.
A smudge in the background
trying to enter these lives
but stopped at the glass

A one way barrier
that I can not break.
The only test
impossible for me to pass.

The pictures fade
my existence diminishes.
The other world brightens
I become the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment